Marber: A Wordpress theme by Apt
Demo and Screenshots
There is a fully working theme demo here - note that the style switcher at the top is admin-only in the download version.
About the theme:
- A simple, two-column theme.
- Six colour schemes, easily changed via the backend.
- Three layouts, for 800px width, 1000px width, and fully fluid, again easily switched via the admin panel.
- Widgetized sidebar.
- WP 2.3+ only - includes tags.
- Typographically set to a baseline grid.
- Author comment highlighting.
- Cross-browser compatible, with subtly different layouts for Mozilla, Webkit and IE browsers.
- Integrated microformats.
- Fully valid XHTML and CSS.
- Integrated Wordpress.com stats (with no smiley!).
- Custom 404 page.
Here is a .zip package containing the theme, bundled plugins, and installation instructions:
- Download and unzip the Marber files.
- Upload the 'marber' folder to your wp-content/themes/ directory
- Upload the contents of the 'plugin' folder to your wp-content/plugins/ directory
- In the admin panel, go to 'Plugins' and enable the 'Fold Page List' and 'WP Stats' plugins.
- To enable WP Stats, you will need a Wordpress.com API Key.
- Ensure that the Blog Title under Options > General is correct, and set the Tagline to your name (or pseudonym).
- Select Marber in Presentation > Themes.
- Select the colour and layout you would like in Presentation > Marber Options (N.B. Only visible when Marber is enabled).
- And you're done.
The plugins included are all developed by third parties, and are not guaranteed by Apt. The only one required for the theme is Rob Schumann's Fold Page List. WP Stats is built into the theme but disabling it will not effect the theme if you prefer to use another package, such as Google Analytics.
Subscribe to this RSS feed to get all updates to the Marber theme, which will be disseminated via the Times Emit blog:
RSS Update Feed
- 6/11/07: Release of Marber 1.0
License and Support
Marber is released for free under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 license, which means you are free to download, use, copy, remix and redistribute this theme, providing you retain the footer link to Apt.
This theme is offered freely without support. If you need further help installing or maintaining the theme, you should check out the Wordpress Support Forums, or other locations.
We welcome constructive Feedback on this theme, and are actively working on Version 2.0, so do tell us what you'd like to see. The comments on this blog post are the best place to leave your feedback.
We'd also like to hear from anyone who's using the theme - again, leave a comment and a link to your blog if you are.
There's lots more discussion of the background to the theme in this post at Times Emit.
Here's a great article on Romek Marber's design work, as well as biographical information on Marber himself at Wikipedia.